Sourdough question

Home Forums Homestead Kitchen Sourdough question

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Foxfire Homestead 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Foxfire Homestead
    Participant

Hey y’all,

The wife and I are trying our hand at bread making, and we want to try sourdough first because we love it.

We’re starting our starter in a mason jar, equal parts water and flour and removing some as it gets pretty big, but it keeps dying after a few days. Seems straightforward enough, but we’re having trouble with it.

Any insights for new home breadmakers?

Thanks in advance

Nate

What kind of water are you using? What’s the room temp? You don’t keep it in a sunny spot I hope?

It’s not at all straightforward, sourdough is an art and after a few years at it we’re still not good enough. There’s so much that can go wrong!

Bobby

Foxfire Homestead
    Participant

Regular tap water, room temp about 75, not in a particularly Sunny spot. We put it in a quart jar (about 1 liter), and put a paper towel over top to keep flies out with the regular band to hold it on.

Is your tap water chlorinated? If it is, that’s your problem right there!

Kay
    Keymaster

The water can play a big part in it. I have filtered my tap water for years and I’ve noticed a change recently. In the last year, my dogs are turning their noses up at the filtered water they had been getting and instead were hitting the rainwater collection barrels I have set up. I now give them rainwater instead of even filtered tap water. My Goffin’s Cockatoo has grown the best feathers she’s ever had (she’s 19) since I switched her to rainwater as well. I suspect, no proof just suspicion, that our city water has changed judging by the reactions of my houseplants and animals in the past year or so. Maybe a filter isn’t working at the distribution plant, maybe they’ve added something to it, don’t know. But it is different than it was and I can certainly see the water making a huge difference with something as delicate as sourdough.

Kay
    Keymaster

Just to be sure there is no misunderstanding – I was not suggesting that you should use rainwater in your sourdough mix! There are organisms in rainwater that probably wouldn’t help the human digestive tract. I was trying to point out the importance of water quality and that even filtered tap water might not be as good as we think it is.

Foxfire Homestead
    Participant

You’re giving me ideas with the rainwater thing though…

In any case, we’ll start with some water that we’ve boiled and let sit a while to let any nasties evaporate off.

Foxfire Homestead
    Participant

Definitely chlorinated. We’ll start boiling the water and letting it cool before use to get the yucky stuff out. Thanks a lot!!!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.