What's Growing In Your Garden?

Home Forums Gardening What's Growing In Your Garden?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Kay 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Kay
    Keymaster

Because of our bee and butterfly population going to basically zero here in our neighborhood, my neighbors and I have been planting wildflowers and nurturing flowers more than our fruit trees and berry bushes and veggie plots. My dandelions bloomed several weeks ago and we saw several butterflies on the same day for the first time in three years. This week saw my wild roses begin blooming. I couldn’t be happier! My Scarlet Clover should kick in next month and my newly planted wildflowers in July and August. Our fingers are crossed that our efforts will pay off and our peaches and blackberries and tomatoes will once again thrive. But in the meantime I’m just enjoying the colors and the beauty of these rose bushes growing in a little corner of my homestead.

Foxfire Homestead
    Participant

We’ve seen very few bees this year, but the privet bushes were absolutely COVERED in butterflies while they bloomed. Hoping we’ll see more critters soon as the beans are blooming all over the place and my biggest comfrey plant is about to flower. Syrphid flies have been good though, lots of them and ladybugs all over eating bugs.

As for what’s growing… COMFREY! Forty six plants I counted the other day. At least that many still unless the chickens ate em. Beans and borage popping up everywhere and the corn is doing better than I thought it would. It’s my first time growing corn.

Porters Place
    Participant

I love this time of year for the wild berry trees are in full bloom and the bees are buzzing!
    We have a succession of flowering trees starting with the pincherries, then the Saskatoons and plum trees followed by our apple trees and finally the chokecherries and sour cherries.
    The yard just smells wonderful and the place is alive with the different pollinators.

Kay
    Keymaster

Wow Nate -that’s a LOT of comfrey!

Kay
    Keymaster

Forgive my ignorance Patrice – but I didn’t realize your growing season was long enough or warm enough to produce plums, apples, and cherries! What else can you bring to harvest in Saskatchewan?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.